The Finance Director at the Alliance for Youth Organizing (along with our sister 501c4 organization the Alliance for Youth Action) will lead on internal financial management to ensure our fast growing organization is running smoothly behind the scenes. Since our inception, our network has led on some of the most innovative and exciting electoral and issue advocacy work across the country. We’re looking for an organized and driven individual to strengthen financial management systems, monitor and maintain internal controls, and oversee financial compliance requirements. This is a full-time position based in our Washington, DC office, reporting to the Senior Operations Director.
About the Alliance for Youth Organizing
The Alliance convenes, supports, and scales a national network of youth-led, locally rooted organizations growing civic engagement and social justice coast to coast. We truly are a network “of young people, by young people, for all people.” In 2018, our affiliates and partners ran massive voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, trained new young leaders, and ran powerful campaigns to win on the progressive issues our generation cares about most. Our national team empowers this work by tracking down national resources for the network, building capacity for local groups, seeding new efforts, and coordinating national issue campaigns.
The Finance Director will monitor and maintain organization-wide financial management systems to ensure high quality internal controls, accurate financial reporting, and effective financial analysis and planning.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Supervise the external bookkeeper, oversee monthly close, and manage expense approval and tracking processes.
- Manage documentation, grant and contract agreements, and other requirements associated with Alliance funding to network entities.
- Support the annual budgeting and planning process and manage budget reforecasting needs as necessary.
- Lead on the annual audit and IRS 990 filing.
- Coordinate with Development team to ensure that revenue is organized and compliant with all grant, funder, and contract requirements, especially for restricted grants.
- Oversee fiscal sponsorship program for affiliated organizations.
- Manage vendor contracts, insurance renewals, and leases.
- Ensure local and federal business, tax, and solicitation related filings are submitted in a timely manner.
- Prepare financial reports for Alliance staff, leadership, board, and funders as needed.
- Collaborate with the Operations team to improve financial management processes and policies as needed.
Key Qualifications & Experience
We’re looking for candidates with particular strengths in the following areas:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or a related field, OR certification or training in accounting practices (CPA not required).
- Working knowledge of GAAP, audits, and other regulatory requirements in the nonprofit financial field.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and google sheets.
- Experience with budget management and financial forecasting.
- Knowledge of nonprofit legal structures as it relates to financial management.
- Detail oriented and organized, with proven ability to effectively and independently manage projects.
- A self-starter with strong initiative who – beyond directing our current systems – has the willingness to identify additional processes that could be streamlined and the skills to realize that vision.
- Champion of organizational diversity & equity with a commitment to social justice.
- Passion for and commitment to youth organizing and Alliance mission.
The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse work environment. People of color, people with disabilities, people of diverse sexual orientation, gender expression, and identities are encouraged to apply.
- Compensation: $70,000 – $80,000 per year commensurate with experience.
- Benefits: The Alliance offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums, 75% of premiums for employee dependents, employer retirement contributions (SEP IRA), life insurance, short and long term disability income protection insurance, cell phone reimbursement, public transportation stipend, professional development funds, and generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave.
- Location: This is a full-time position based out of the Alliance’s Washington, DC office.
Please fill out this form, and submit a single pdf document including the following:
- Cover letter, explaining why you want this job and what makes you well-suited for the position (please, show some personality)
- Three references (we will reach out to you first before contacting them)
Priority Deadline to apply is June 10, 2019.