ABOUT THE ALLIANCE FOR YOUTH ORGANIZING
The Alliance convenes, supports, and scales a national network of youth-led, locally rooted organizations growing civic engagement and social justice coast to coast. We truly are a multiracial network “of young people, by young people, for all people.” Our Affiliates and Partners run massive voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, train new young leaders, and run powerful campaigns to win on the progressive issues our generation cares about most. Our national team empowers this work by tracking down national resources for the network, building capacity for local groups, seeding new efforts, and coordinating national issue campaigns.
The Operations Training Director at the Alliance will support and train staff at affiliated organizations in the Alliance network on the mechanics of nonprofit operations, including financial management, personnel, administration, and compliance. This could mean anything from assisting in onboarding of new operations staff, to training an Executive Director to manage the cash flow of their rapidly scaling operation, to ensuring a board meeting is run in compliance with nonprofit regulations. The Operations Training Director will also develop scalable systems to manage this work through the following methods:
Direct Training and 1:1 Support – includes regular domestic travel to network organizations.
– Work with network organizations to identify operational challenges and create lasting solutions; support implementation of operational changes and document training for reference and replication.
– Support organizations during the startup phase to establish systems and meet compliance standards.
– Work with the Operations team to train fiscally sponsored organizations on resource sharing processes, including reimbursement standards and cash flow management.
– Assist in onboarding of network operations staff, and support network organizations in running and developing robust and equitable hiring processes.
Network Operations Planning – includes developing network wide plans to support organizational sustainability.
– Create and maintain operations resources for the network, including templates and guides on best practices.
– Identify group training opportunities; plan and lead trainings in a group setting.
– Manage the network professional services database to connect organizations with experts and consultants to further professionalize their work.
– Work across Alliance teams to ensure alignment on operational and programmatic priorities for network organizations.
– Coordinate a network operations cohort to foster peer to peer learning and relationship building.
KEY QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
– Experience working in nonprofit operations, including accounting/finance, payroll systems, benefits administration, hiring and onboarding processes, and implementing new systems and processes.
– Proficiency in excel and/or google sheets.
– A self-starter with strong initiative who – beyond directing current systems – has the willingness to identify additional processes that could be streamlined and the skills to realize that vision.
– Enthusiasm for working with and training staff with varying skill levels in operations to set them up for success – we’re looking for someone who can celebrate current successes, see the places we can improve, and come up with specific ways to help make those changes happen.
– Ability to manage multiple projects, plan backwards, anticipate obstacles, troubleshoot, and make smart judgement calls as needed.
– Willingness and excitement to think outside the box to ensure organizational values – especially those related to diversity, equity, and inclusion – are reflected in operations work.
– Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
– Commitment to the mission of the Alliance network.
– Experience working with nonprofits engaged in local grassroots organizing is a plus.
Compensation: $75,000 – $85,000 per year commensurate with experience.
Benefits: The Alliance offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums, 75% of premiums for employee dependents, employer retirement contributions (SEP IRA), life insurance, short and long term disability income protection insurance, cell phone reimbursement, WMATA transportation smartbenefits, professional development opportunities, the opportunity for 3 days of remote work per month, a generous paid time off policy, and up to 16 weeks of paid family and medical leave.
Location: This is a full time position based out of the Alliance’s Washington, D.C. office.
Travel: Up to 50% of this position may be spent on domestic travel. Must be willing to work periodically long, irregular hours and to travel as needed.
The Alliance for Youth Organizing is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse work environment. People of color, people with disabilities, people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.
Please fill out this form, and submit a single pdf document including the following:
– Three references (we will reach out to you first before contacting them)
Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions.
PRIORITY DEADLINE TO APPLY IS January 6th, 2020.